The Darling Baby
December 7, 1964
Andy Griffith as Sheriff Andy Taylor
Don Knotts as Deputy Barney Fife
Directed by Howard MorrisWritten by Jim Fritzell and Everett Greenbaum
The Darlings return to Mayberry searching for an appropriate husband for Charlene's newborn girl Andelina. During a social call on the Taylors, Briscoe thinks Opie is the man for the job, so he tries to railroad Andy into a contract of marriage between his son and Briscoe's granddaughter. After getting several ideas; Andy spooks Briscoe by signing the contract with a pen loaded with disappearing ink. Believing there's witchery in the Taylor bloodline, Briscoe packs up his family and heads back to the hills.
- Barney says in this show that he is 35 years old. In reality, actor Don Knotts was 40 years old.
- Barney says that he is 35 years old, but in the episode "Class Reunion" the yearbook shows both Andy and Barney graduated in 1945, making them at least 37 by the end of 1964.
- "There Is a Time" performed by Charlene Darling and The Darling Boys
- "Ebo Walker" performed by The Darling Boys
- "Stay a Little Longer" performed by Andy Taylor and The Darling Boys
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|
|The Pageant||Andy and Helen Have Their Day|