George Petrie was born on November 16, 1912 in New Haven, Connecticut, USA. He was an actor and director, known for General Hospital (1963), Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987) and Hud (1963). He was married to Patricia Pope. He died on November 16, 1997 (age 85) in Los Angeles, California, USA. He portrayed Joe Layton and Lenny in The Andy Griffith Show.
- He and his wife, Patricia, had 2 children.
- Died on his 85th birthday.
- Portrayed criminal lawyer John J. Malone on NBC Radio's "The Amazing Mr. Malone" (1951).
- Between 1974 and 1976, he appeared in 19 episodes of the "CBS Radio Mystery Theater."
- He made guest appearances on both Twilight Zone (1959) and The Twilight Zone (1985).
- George Petrie's 14 appearances on The Honeymooners rank as the most, aside from the 4 main cast members.
- He played the character Harv Smithfield, lawyer to J.R. Ewing on Dallas. (On one episode, where J.R. wanted to confer with his lawyer at about 2am, he was reminded that it was late and Harv was probably asleep. "For what we pay him, he should be sleeping on our front porch," quipped J.R.)