Barney has a tendency to shoot his gun, so Andy makes him keep his bullet in his shirt pocket. Sometimes, however, the bullet gets into the gun and Barney shoots it. Andy then holds out his hand, and Barney reluctantly gives the gun up for a while. He sometimes uses the excuse that it was getting green in his pocket, or he lost it in the laundry.
- Dirksen once got a hold of the gun, and held Emma Brand up with it.
- In Convicts at Large Barney is held prisoner by a female convict with his own gun [apparently loaded as Barney is scared to death!
- In Andy and the Gentleman Crook, Andy fires the gun by accident.
- In Aunt Bee Takes a job Andy uses Deputy Warrens gun to stop crooks
Episodes where his gun goes offEdit
- The Manhunt
- Andy and the Gentleman Crook
- The Perfect Female
- Lawman Barney
- Ernest T. Bass Joins the Army - Barney breaks a window with the gun
- Andy and Opie's Pal
- The Big House - (Which the picture on the right depicts)
- Barney Gets His Man, Barney shoots the gun in the barn while he is frightened and hits a lantern.