A Black Day for Mayberry
November 11, 1963
Andy Griffith as Sheriff Andy Taylor
Don Knotts as Deputy Barney Fife
A shipment of gold passes through Mayberry on its way to Fort Knox.
A top-secret gold shipment from the Denver Mint to Fort Knox is scheduled to make a stop in Mayberry, and only Andy and Barney know about it. It turns out Barney can't keep a secret and everybody in town soon knows about the gold. The top secret shipment is greeted with a carnival-like reception and Barney almost blows another secret when he discovers the gold is gone. What Barney did not know was that, at the last minute, the real shipment was diverted and the truck was a decoy.
- This episode has a car chase (one of few seen in the series). Another one was in Barney Gets His Man.
- The two men sitting as Opie enters the courthouse are not the same men seen in the rest of the scene...furthermore, they are wearing hats!
- Wally's Gas Station uses ACME Gas.
- Although Andy explains why the gold shipment isn't being transported via the obvious route, it still seems a little much to transport gold from Denver to Kentucky through North Carolina.
- Opie, who is standing with Aunt Bee when first seen on Main Street, is later seen atop the squad car with Leon, who is holding a balloon. Look for this unusual brotherly scene when the gold truck comes to town and Andy orders the crowd to go home.
- Andy wears a gun in this episode.
- In the hotel scene, Barney's rain jacket is alternately wet, dry, then wet again.
- A hot dog vendor is seen right before the gold truck arrives. However in The Merchant of Mayberry it is said there is no peddling on the streets of Mayberry.
- Ron Howard's father makes a cameo in this episode.
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|
|Gomer the House Guest||Opie's Ill-Gotten Gain|