A Black Day for Mayberry
November 11, 1963
Andy Griffith as Sheriff Andy Taylor
Don Knotts as Deputy Barney Fife
- "Somewhere between here and Denver, there’s $7 million dollars headed for Mayberry, and you and me and Gomer and Laura Lee Hobbs, we’re gonna be here to receive it."
A shipment of gold passes through Mayberry on its way to Fort Knox.
A top-secret gold shipment from the Denver Mint to Fort Knox is scheduled to make a stop in Mayberry, and only Andy and Barney know about it. It turns out Barney can't keep a secret and everybody in town soon knows about the gold. The top secret shipment is greeted with a carnival-like reception and Barney almost blows another secret when he discovers the gold is gone. What Barney did not know was that, at the last minute, the real shipment was diverted and the truck was a decoy.
- This episode has a car chase (one of few seen in the series). Another one was in Barney Gets His Man.
- The two men sitting as Opie enters the courthouse are not the same men seen in the rest of the scene...furthermore, they are wearing hats!
- Wally's Gas Station uses ACME Gas.
- Although Andy explains why the gold shipment isn't being transported via the obvious route, it still seems a little much to transport gold from Denver to Kentucky through North Carolina. If Mt. Airy N.C. is supposed to be Mayberry, then the gold truck would have had to pass Fort Knox up and keep going almost another 450 miles and 7 hours to the S.E. to get to Mayberry. Even with a "going through the backdoor" way of thinking, this overkill just doesn't make any sence - even for a decoy.
- Andy says that the shipment of gold is worth over seven million dollars, this is the highest amount of money mentioned in the series.
- Opie, who is standing with Aunt Bee when first seen on Main Street, is later seen atop the squad car with Leon, who is holding a balloon. Look for this unusual brotherly scene when the gold truck comes to town and Andy orders the crowd to go home.
- Andy wears a gun in this episode.
- In the hotel scene, Barney's rain jacket is alternately wet, dry, then wet again.
- A hot dog vendor is seen right before the gold truck arrives. However in The Merchant of Mayberry it is said there is no peddling on the streets of Mayberry.
- Ron Howards's father and brother are both in this episode.
- This is one of the rare times we see it rain in Mayberry. The others are in The Jinx, Quiet Sam, and Dogs, Dogs, Dogs.
Barney: “I just run the waitin’ room, that’s all”
Barney: “You’re talkin’ to tight lips Barney!”
Barney: “Andy this is big. This is really big!”
Barney: (to Juanita) “You’d never guess this. All right, go ahead and guess. No. No, this has something to do with a truck. A truck that’s comin’ through here tomorrow. All right, I’ll give you one little hint: It’s worth $7 million dollars. What? A rocket? No, No, you’re gold. COLD! You’re COLD! I didn’t say gold, I said cold. Ignore what I just said about gold Juanita. I DID NOT SAY “GOLD”!"
Andy: "You try to disperse them and they’ll try to disperse you!"
Andy: "You beat everything, you know that Barney?"
Regis: "Barbarians! Worshipers of Mammon!"
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|
|Gomer the House Guest||Opie's Ill-Gotten Gain|